Modern gynecology offers many innovative diagnostic tests and treatments in an office based setting.
Here’s a short list of some of the more commonly performed ones:
- Endometrial biopsy – a test for uterine (endometrial) cancer
- Cervical biopsy – a test for cervical cancer
- Hysteroscopy – a test for abnormal uterine bleeding in which a lit telescope is placed in the uterus
- Sonohysterogram – another test for abnormal menstrual bleeding during which the uterus is filled with water while an ultrasound examination is performed.
- Essure – a tubal sterilization procedure that can be performed in an office-setting
- Endometrial ablation – a treatment for abnormal menstrual periods. Some of the devices used include NovaSure, Hydrothermal Ablation (HTA) and the ThermaChoice Balloon
- Suction D and C – often done for an incomplete miscarriage
- Mirena or other IUD insertion
These procedures can be painful. Even though many procedures are offered in an office based setting various studies show that procedures such as diagnostic hysteroscopy can be so painful for some women that 10% of them can’t even be satisfactorily completed. Other procedures – while completed – are often found to be barely tolerable.
At the Center we offer procedures under intravenous sedation. We are the only gynecology office in Western New York that is accredited to administer effective intravenous sedation. So if you’re considering any of these gynecologic procedures and you’re anxious about whether or not you will find it tolerable please consult with us and discover the options that are open to you.